01744 885555
House insurance

House insurance

Peace of mind and ease of arranging

When you’re buying a home, you’ll need the right cover for your property. With buildings and contents insurance in place, you can get on with enjoying life.

The trouble is, it’s a busy marketplace, with hundreds of options to choose from. Not only confusing, but a drain on your time, too. And what’s more, could you even say what all the things you own are worth? At Allisons, we can help you with all this and more.

Buildings and contents insurance. What’s the difference?

Put simply, buildings insurance covers the physical structure of your property, including the walls, roof, and floors. Contents insurance, meanwhile, covers all the items inside, such as furniture, valuables and freestanding appliances.

When you think about buildings and contents insurance, it’s helpful to know what counts as part of the fabric of the property (‘buildings’) and what could reasonably be removed and taken to a new home (‘contents’).

This means that the floor, roof, windows and walls of your property are covered by buildings insurance, while the furniture, appliances, valuables and decorative items fall under contents insurance. However, when insuring your home, it’s not always this simple.

Avoid the confusion and save countless hours

Some parts of your home can be hard to define. For instance, a policy might consider a fitted kitchen or bathroom suite as buildings, while carpets are usually classes as contents. Wooden or laminate flooring, on the other hand, is likely to be classed as part of the building, as are the likes of external structures such as garages and outbuildings.   

With so many people turning to comparison sites or buying insurance online from an insurer, the market has become saturated. More than a little confusing too, as insurers compete to undercut each other. Yet while a low price may look tempting, it’s often at the expense of the cover you’ll enjoy. 

An adviser on your side

Bearing all this in mind, wouldn’t it be a good idea to have an independent expert to advise you on the best policies for you? By taking the time to fully understand what’s most important to you, we can take away all the countless hours spent trawling the internet. We’ll search the whole of the market on your behalf. Finding the right policy, with the right level of cover, at the lowest possible price. Then, if disaster does strike, you’ll be fully protected, without any hidden clauses that might catch you out.

Of course, if you’re buying landlord insurance, we can help you cover all the items that belong to you under the contents section of your policy. Any tenants will need to take out their own contents insurance to cover the things they own.

Insure your home the easy way

Whether you plan to live in the property, or rent it out, we’ll make the entire process quick and pain-free, without any nasty surprises should you need to make a claim.